Points to path issu...

Notifications
Clear all

Points to path issue

1 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello, I am using TerraForm PRO and QGIS 3.18.2 with the Points to path tool. I've created new points with Locate points along lines tool and when I go to create new paths between points, it wants to connect the ends to other ends and creates spaghetti basically. Any help with this would be great!

Topic Tags
1 Answer

This is happening because the attribute you're using to tell QGIS which points are part of which line isn't selected properly.

If you [right-click] and select Open Attribute Table on the layer you want to redistribute the points for, you'll see the available attributes for each of the lines. In the case of the data I'm using, there's an FID attribute that's unique to each line. (If your data doesn't have a unique attribute per line, you can add one using the tools at the top of the attribute table.)

When you create your points using the Locate Points Along Lines plugin, make sure you select 'Keep Attributes'.

Once you've created your points, you can use the FID attribute as the Group Field and the Distance attribute created by the Locate Points Along Lines process as the Order Field.

This will help QGIS to figure out which of the points should be used to create the different lines. If you don't set this, QGIS won't know which points go with which lines.

Hope that helps.

Share: